When searching for natural solutions to help with ADHD symptoms, Lion’s Mane often comes up. Research shows it can help with focus, overall cognitive function, and may even help protect and grow new brain cells.
So, could Lion’s Mane be your all-natural ADHD solution, or are there still gaps in the research behind it? And even if there are gaps, is it safe enough to try it out and see if it helps? Keep reading to find out.
Feel Better Fast. Guaranteed.
Energy+, EDGE, and MentaBiotics make up the Happy Juice supplement stack, with ingredients clinically proven to:
- decrease anxiousness scores by 55%
- decrease irritability scores by 60%
- decrease fatigue by 64%
- decrease anger 54%
- decrease tension by 45%
- decrease confusion by 43%
- decrease overall distress by 49%
- increase good bacteria by 70%
- decrease negative mood by 105%
- increase positive mood by 211%
What is Lion’s Mane and How Does it Work?
Lion’s Mane is a unique mushroom that resembles a lion’s mane, hence its name. It has been used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine to treat various ailments, including digestive disorders, inflammation, and cognitive decline.
The active compounds in Lion’s Mane, known as hericenones and erinacines, have been shown to stimulate the production of nerve growth factor (NGF) in the brain.
NGF is a protein that plays a crucial role in the growth, maintenance, and repair of brain cells. By increasing NGF levels, Lion’s Mane may help promote the growth and regeneration of neurons, leading to improved cognitive function and enhanced focus.
ADHD and Its Impact on Focus
ADHD, or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, is a neurodevelopmental disorder that affects both children and adults. It is characterized by symptoms such as inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity, which can significantly impact an individual’s ability to focus and concentrate.
For those with ADHD, staying on task and maintaining focus can be a constant challenge. Their minds often wander, making it difficult to complete tasks and meet deadlines. This can lead to feelings of frustration and underachievement, as well as difficulties in personal and professional relationships.
Scientific Studies and Its Potential Effects on ADHD
A growing body of scientific research supports the potential benefits of Lion’s Mane for people with ADHD.
In a study published in the Journal of Medicinal Food, researchers found that supplementation improved cognitive function and reduced symptoms of anxiety and depression in individuals with mild cognitive impairment.
Another study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry showed that Lion’s Mane extract had neuroprotective effects and improved cognitive function in mice with memory impairment.1Zhang, C.C., Cao, C.Y., Kubo, M., Harada, K., Yan, X.T., Fukuyama, Y., & Gao, J.M. (2016). Chemical constituents from Hericium erinaceus and their ability to stimulate NGF-mediated neurite outgrowth on PC12 cells. Journal of Natural Products, 79(11), 2784-2792.
In yet another study with young adults, a single dose of Lion’s Mane helps participants perform significantly quicker on the Stroop task, a test of cognitive processing speed and flexibility.2Docherty S, Doughty FL, Smith EF. The Acute and Chronic Effects of Lion’s Mane Mushroom Supplementation on Cognitive Function, Stress and Mood in Young Adults: A Double-Blind, Parallel Groups, Pilot Study. Nutrients. 2023;15(22):4842. Published 2023 Nov 20. doi:10.3390/nu15224842
Following 28 days of supplementation, there was a trend towards reduced subjective stress. Previous studies have also noted improvements in depression and anxiety scores with Lion’s Mane consumption, linking its mood-enhancing effects to the stimulation of neurotrophic factors, including nerve growth factor.
This suggests that it might offer benefits in cognitive speed, even after a single dose, with additional benefits coming from regular use.
The study authors suggested various mechanisms through which it might exert its effects. These include the modulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which plays a critical role in learning, memory, and possibly processing speed.
Additionally, the mushroom’s impact on monoamine neurotransmitters and its anti-inflammatory properties could contribute to its mood-enhancing effects.
These findings suggest that Lion’s Mane may have the potential to enhance focus and cognitive abilities in individuals with ADHD, though there is no study that proves it could replace ADHD medication at this time.
Benefits for Improving Focus
The potential benefits of Lion’s Mane for improving focus and managing ADHD symptoms are compelling. Here are some key benefits:
- Enhanced Cognitive Function: Lion’s Mane may improve memory, attention, and mental clarity, allowing individuals with ADHD to stay on task and concentrate more effectively.
- Increased Neuroplasticity: Lion’s Mane has been shown to promote the growth and regeneration of brain cells, leading to improved neural connectivity and enhanced learning abilities.
- Reduced Inflammation: Chronic inflammation in the brain may lead to ADHD symptoms. Lion’s Mane has anti-inflammatory properties that may help alleviate inflammation and improve focus.
- Minimal Side Effects: Unlike traditional medications for ADHD, Lion’s Mane is a natural alternative with minimal side effects. It is generally well-tolerated and safe for long-term use.
How to Incorporate It Into Your Routine
Incorporating Lion’s Mane into your daily routine is easy and convenient. Here are some ways to enjoy the benefits of this powerful medicinal mushroom:
- Supplements: Lion’s Mane is available in various forms, including capsules, powders, and tinctures. Choose a high-quality supplement from a reputable brand and follow the recommended dosage instructions.
- Tea: Brew Lion’s Mane tea by steeping dried or powdered Lion’s Mane in hot water for 10-15 minutes. Add honey or lemon for flavor, if desired.
- Cooking: Lion’s Mane can be used as an ingredient in various dishes, such as stir-fries, soups, and stews. It has a mild, seafood-like flavor that complements a wide range of recipes.
Other Natural Solutions for Managing ADHD Symptoms
While Lion’s Mane shows promising potential for improving focus and managing ADHD symptoms, it’s important to note that it may not work for everyone. Every individual is unique, and different strategies may be more effective for different people. Here are some other natural solutions that may help manage ADHD symptoms:
- Exercise: Regular physical activity improves focus and reduce ADHD symptoms. Engage in activities such as strength training, endurance activities, or yoga to reap the benefits.
- Dietary Changes: A balanced diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and essential nutrients can support brain health and improve focus. Include foods like fatty fish, leafy greens, and berries in your diet.
- Mindfulness and Meditation: Practicing mindfulness and meditation can help calm the mind, reduce stress, and improve focus. Try incorporating these practices into your daily routine.
Precautions and Potential Side Effects of Lion’s Mane
While Lion’s Mane is generally safe for most individuals, it’s important to exercise caution and be aware of potential side effects.
Some individuals may experience mild gastrointestinal discomfort, such as diarrhea or stomach upset, when taking it.
If you have any underlying health conditions or are taking medications, it’s best to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement.
Where to Buy Lion’s Mane Supplements
Lion’s Mane supplements are widely available online and in health food stores. When purchasing, it’s important to choose a high-quality supplement from a reputable brand. Look for products that are third-party tested for quality and purity.
My favorite Lion’s Mane supplement is EDGE+ from Amare.
Harnessing the power of Lion’s Mane for Enhanced Focus and Productivity
Lion’s Mane is a natural solution that shows promising potential for boosting focus and managing ADHD symptoms. Its ability to stimulate NGF production (and potentially BDNF) and promote brain cell growth makes it an exciting option for people looking for an alternative to or supplement for traditional medications.
While it may not work for everyone, its minimal side effects and long history of use in traditional medicine make it worth considering.
By incorporating Lion’s Mane into your daily routine, along with other natural strategies, you can harness its power to enhance focus, improve cognitive function, and increase productivity. While research doesn’t yet show that Lion’s Mane resolves all symptoms of ADHD, there’s plenty of evidence to show it can help.